A close friend in our church texted me this question today amidst the whirlwind of conspiracy theories wildly blowing among believers on social media.
“What are your thoughts towards the uproar of believers posting conspiracy type things online (especially today)? I feel overwhelmed by the amount of fear and disunity.”
This is the worst of Christianity in America. Conspiracy theories are birthed in fear. This is all very convoluted at the grass roots level because people don’t trust leaders for good and bad reasons. Here are my thoughts in short form:
- The virus is real. We (Christ-followers) should do our best to be responsible citizens out of obedience to our God who teaches us to pray for and submit to our leaders as far as possible without disobeying God. Also, we live in communities with people we call our neighbors we are to love relentlessly. So we follow guidelines to love and protect others.
- The virus could have been manufactured in a lab in Wuhan or it could be a natural, viral, “perfect storm.” Who knows at this point? Don’t focus on conspiracy (whichever one you are focused), focus on Kingdom.
- God is using all of this for His glory and our good. Trust Him. To quote Tom Foolery, “Sometimes you have to get sick, my boy, before you start feeling better.”
- It is obvious who is walking by faith in a biblical way in this season. Look for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. That is the fruit of the Spirit present in the believer no matter the circumstances. Not perfection or the absence of pain and suffering. Just the fruit of the Spirit in the pain and suffering. (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Within American Christendom there appears to be a divide driven by political alliance and personal economic interests. This isn’t good within Christianity because it shows many Christians in America are party or pocket first, Kingdom second or third.
- According to the Bible we live in the end times but time is relative to our very limited perspective and God is above time.
- Our role whether it is our last day on earth or the last day of the earth is to press into mission. We love God and we love people and point everyone to Jesus in love.
Conspiracy theories are a waste of time and energy for the follower of Christ in my opinion. We just need to know the King (Jesus) and the Kingdom agenda and then we do our part to abide in Christ and bear much fruit and so prove to be his disciples NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE (John 15). Even if one of the hundreds of conspiracy theories flying around out there are true and we find that out, what are we going to do? “See, I told you so?” How does that forward the Kingdom of Jesus?
Don’t waste your life on conspiracy follower of Jesus. KINGDOM, KINGDOM, KINGDOM.